Dear Chaparral Families,
As 2017 comes to a close, we would like to acknowledge all of the hard work our parent volunteers do for the teachers, students, staff, and PFC. Chaparral relies on your time, dedication, talent, and generosity every day and we are grateful to work with you and be part of this amazing community. A special thank you to all of the unsung heroes: the spouses/partners of our parent volunteers who hold down the fort at home, support our volunteering initiatives, and enable us to give our time to Chaparral… we couldn’t do it without you.
November came and went in a flash!
After Halloween, Chaparral once again participated in Operation Gratitude which sends sweets to our troops around the world. Thank you to Maria Nicolacakis, Kim Becker, and Kim Rexford for leading the charge in collecting candy donations after Halloween. Chaparral donated over 160 pounds of candy this year!!
Our annual Scholastic Book Fair was one big hoedown as the MPR was transformed into a “Wild West Book Fair.” Many thanks to Lisa Opolion for chairing this beloved event once again and spending so much of her waking hours in the MPR during the minimum day week. Thank you also to the many parent volunteers who helped out and those who supported our Book Fair by buying books for their kids, teachers, and themselves! Our new evening event to accommodate those who may not be able to shop during the day, PJs with Milk & Cookies, was fun for all. Kids lounged around in their PJs reading books while their chaperones shopped. The Book Fair was a huge success overall, raising more than $7,000 in Scholastic dollars and allowing the school to purchase additional Smart Boards and standing desks for the classrooms. The PFC was also able to donate many books to teachers and staff from their wish lists – a win-win for all!!
Our popular Holiday Boutique was a resounding success. We are so thankful to our first-time chair, Sadie Novello, who did an amazing job securing an exciting variety of vendors and transforming the MPR into a beautiful shopping wonderland. Special thanks to:
- Jessica Epstein for once again organizing and managing all of the food and drinks to ensure that shoppers and volunteers stayed fueled throughout the day.
- Last year’s chairs, Ghazal Hafizi and Minoo Rostami, for lending so much support and enthusiasm to this year’s boutique.
- Deb Shapiro for another amazing Cub Wear sale and for making our spirit wear hip and fun, and the envy of all schools around us!
Thank you to all of the parent volunteers who worked so hard that day to help it run smoothly. Finally, thank you to all of the parents, teachers, and staff who shopped and supported this event!
Coming Up Next:
- The Annual Motor4Toys Drive is going on now and will end with a special assembly and car show on Wednesday, December 13. Please donate a new, unwrapped gift valued at $10 or more in one of the many collections boxes located throughout the school. For more information, please contact Ben Abadian, our Humanitarian Chair.
- The next PFC meeting will be on Friday, January 5 at 8:15am in the MPR. We hope to see you there!
We wish you a wonderful holiday season and a new year filled with love, happiness, good health, and peace.
Ann Park and Jason Weilert