Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Small, Large, Circle, Square, Thin Crust, Thick Crust, Extra Toppings and sometimes with BBQ Sauce. Chaparral’s next restaurant fundraiser is at Fresh Brothers on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018 all day long. Join us and celebrate beauty in all of its delicious forms!
THE BRITISH ARE COMING, THE BRITISH ARE COMING!
No, Chaparral isn’t getting a royal visit from William, Kate, Harry and Meghan…the school isn’t magically turning into Hogwarts…it’s the 2019 Chaparral Variety Show! And…. this year’s theme is British Invasion.
So, lace up your trainers, put on your best bowler and pull up your knickers. We’re going to move, groove and dance to the best music from across the pond.
Please join us for a New & Returning Parent Information Meeting on Thursday, Dec. 13, at 8:15 a.m., in the Chaparral MPR. If you’re interested in running a group or just want more information about this year’s show, please join us.
Information about registration, rehearsal and performance dates and tickets will be coming soon.
Questions? Contact Billy Cooper or Meredith Sesser.
Dear Chaparral Families,
As we turn the calendar to November we want to take a moment to thank the teachers and staff at Chaparral who work so hard to create such a positive learning experience for our children. We also want to thank our Chaparral families for generously donating their time and resources to the school and for supporting the PFC’s mission to raise funds and build a strong community. Looking back at October…
Fall Festival is always a fantastic community building event and this year did not disappoint. It was all made possible by the hard work and vision of our Fall Festival Chairs, Miranda Fitzgerald and Desiree Terian. We can’t thank you two enough for your dedication to our school and the hours of planning and work you put into this amazing family event! The amazing rides, delicious food choices, fun games, and creative booths gave families so much to enjoy. The auction baskets were beautiful and packed with fun, unique, and useful items, thanks to the generous donations from parents and the collection efforts (and basket assembling efforts!) by the hardworking Room Parents. The auction baskets were organized by Suzy Cooper and Karen Spearrin this year and they both did a fantastic job raising over $7,500 for the PFC. THANK YOU!! Thank you to all of our families who helped with Fall Festival – by donating to the class baskets, contributing sweets for the popular Sweet Walk, running booths, helping set up and dismantle, sponsoring stations, and attending. All your combined efforts made this into a memorable day for everyone!
October was full of fun Restaurant Nights, culminating in Chaparral Day at The Commons which was a full day of dining and reading at The Commons. A BIG thank you to Mrs. Cioffi, Mrs. Mulholland, Mrs. Napier, Principal Brazell, Ms. Gerber, Miss Gourley, Miss Regina, Miss Ryan, Mrs. VanDyke, Mrs. Baldwin, Mrs. Shipow, Mrs. Lampert, Mrs. Otis, Mrs. Ekizian, Mrs. Weber, Mrs. Seidman, Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Thibodeau for participating in reading to the kids at Barnes & Noble. The kids (and parents!) loved seeing you outside of school, reading beloved books with such energy and humor. We are truly fortunate to have such caring teachers who give their time to support our school outside of the classrooms. Thank you to Laura Berlant and Emily Stearn for your hard work organizing so many exciting community-building and fundraising events all month long; and thank you to the many Chaparral families who came out to support our Restaurant Nights and Commons Day. Be sure to include the #chaparralcubs when you post pictures. So fun to see all the families out supporting our school.
Our Wellness team had a busy month with Walk to School Day and Red Ribbon Week. Thank you Jennifer York for coordinating a fun morning for kids and parents to walk to school. Walking to school is a great way to spend a few extra minutes with your kids, get some exercise and ease the burden on the Drop Off Lane. Please try to look for other days to walk to school with your kids. Red Ribbon Week was a success thanks to Mairead MacMullan!! This year’s theme was LIFE IS YOUR JOURNEY, TRAVEL HEALTHY. The goal was to facilitate talk within families about ways to stay healthy in body, mind, and heart. We hope you had a chance to read the healthy pledges that the staff and students hung up around campus. Thank you to our Wellness Chair, Maria Nicolacakis, for leading the charge towards healthy choices!
Coming in November:
- The Enchanted Forest Book Fair, organized by Jennifer York, is coming to the Chaparral MPR November 9-16. Save the date for the ever-popular “Draggn’ Dads to Donuts on November 9th at 7am.
- Get all your holiday shopping done at Chaparral’s eagerly anticipated Holiday Boutique which takes place 7:30am to 4:00pm on Thursday, November 29 in the MPR. Boutique Chair Sadie Novello is bringing back your favorite vendors and many new ones. Shop for clothing, jewelry, purses, food items, holiday gifts, and more. Teacher wish lists will be available.
- Look for Restaurant nights at Rosti and Fresh Brothers!
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com, or stop by the PFC Office during our office hours on Monday and Thursday mornings.
Jason Weilert and Carrie Slatoff
Chaparral has a new procedure for reporting absences. The voicemail option is no longer available. Parents will now need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to report their child’s absence. Please include your child’s name, teacher’s name, date(s) of the absence and reason. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the office. Thank you!
Dear Chaparral Families,
Congratulations to the following classes for reaching 100% participation in the Donor Drive and winning a pizza and ice cream party: Ms. Gourley and Mr. Ross! THANK YOU to all the Chaparral families who donated. A BIG THANK YOU to our Donor Drive VPs, Amy Gray and Susan Harrison, who have tirelessly worked many hours to ensure the success and smooth execution of our biggest fundraiser of the year for the past 5 years!! If you have not donated yet, you can still go to SchoolPay.com and make your tax-deductible donation at any time or contact Amy or Susan for more details.
September was full of FUN- and FUND-raising activities. We are grateful to our volunteers for their hard work and dedication to Chaparral.
- Thank you to our Community Fundraising VPs, Laura Berlant and Emily Stearn, for their amazing work organizing ongoing restaurant nights and coming up with creative ways of making community fundraising fun with Box Top contests and Ralph-les! Our first ever Pancake Breakfast was huge success with almost 100 tickets sold. Please continue to support the school during future restaurant nights.
- Thank you to Beth Anson who did an amazing job organizing our beloved Movie Night! Thank you also to those who helped out at the concession stands and cashbox, and to our sponsors. It was wonderful to see families relaxing and enjoying the movie, and kids with creative glow stick accessories dancing the night away.
October is moving just as fast as September did. Mark your calendars for our exciting Fall Festival scheduled for Sunday, October 28, 11:00am to 4:00pm. Desiree Terian and Miranda Fitzgerald are working hard planning a fun day. In-N-Out Burger, exciting carnival rides and games, a pumpkin patch and our famous silent auction are just a few of the reasons you won’t want to miss the, most anticipated family event of the year. Look for Pre-Sale tickets including Early Bird Specials ON SALE NOW at SchoolPay.com. Save big by buying early.
We look forward to seeing you all at the next PFC Meeting on Wednesday, November 7 at 8:15 in the MPR. Please email us at email@example.com with any questions or stop by the PFC Office during our office hours – Monday and Thursday mornings.
Jason Weilert & Carrie Slatoff
The Holidays are just around the corner and soon you will be ordering cards, calendars, and gifts to send to friends and family! Help Chaparral earn money while you do your usual shopping when you shop at either Shutterfly, Tiny Prints or Minted!
Anyone can use the link and shop from our storefront, so please share with family and friends. We can benefit from this program year round— think holiday cards, photos, photo books, birthday cards, personalized gifts, wedding or baby announcements, and much, much more!
Minted’s Fundraising Program will be running the entire month of November. When you use code FUNDRAISECPFC in November you will receive 15% OFF your holiday cards and gifts and 15% of your total purchase will be donated back to Chaparral. It’s a win-win! Holiday cards, stationary, gifts, art and more! This special offer is also open to family and friends, so please share the code!
Together, we have raised more than $197,000 for Chaparral! Thank you to all of our families who donated, and congratulations to the classes with 100% participation – Ms. Gourley & Mr. Ross – for a tremendous accomplishment!! Our overall school participation was 86%. A BIG THANK YOU to our Donor Drive VPs, Amy Gray and Susan Harrison, who have tirelessly worked many hours to ensure the success and smooth execution of our biggest fundraiser of the year for the past 5 years!!
Just a reminder that the Free or Reduced Lunch Program is available to all families. This is completely confidential and is now online for enhanced privacy and security. Filling out the application online will not only provide nutrition services to your student(s), but it will help the District comply with new regulations from the state. Families, please apply here. Please contact Waleska Cannon, director of Child Nutrition, with questions.
The GreenTeam will begin in October. If you are interested in being a rep for your room please follow your teacher’s guidelines on how to be chosen. The GreenTeam will remain open to all students who are interested in coming to our meetings. Looking forward to a productive year saving the earth! For more information, email Ms. Cioffi.
If you or someone you know is interested in promoting a business to our school community for the 2018-2019 school year, please contact Sponsorship Chair Kim Becker for more information.
– Fall Festival (In-N-Out Burger truck, Pumpkin Patch and Pizza booth)
– Digital Cub Corner sponsor boxes
– Digital School Directory and much more!
Support our school while creating awareness of your business! It’s a win-win for everyone!
The PFC is excited to announce that our free, private, password-protected digital directory through DirectorySpot is NOW LIVE!
Please look for an email with subject line, Chaparral Elementary School – DirectorySpot Account, and claim your account. Please note your link expires in 7 days. DirectorySpot will always contain the latest information, updated by you. You can access the Chaparral Directory through the DirectorySpot website (directoryspot.net), and you can download the DirectorySpot app for your smartphone from iTunes and Google Play! You will be able to call, text or Email other Chaparral families with just one click. You can also access classroom lists and the current Chaparral PFC calendar. We hope you will love the new digital directory! Please Email Chaparral PFC with any questions.
Dear Chaparral Families,
We hope everyone’s school year is off to a great start. We want to begin our message this month by thanking the following Committee Chairs/Coordinators/Exec Board Members who worked over the summer and into the first few weeks of school to ensure that our events, programs, and communication kicked off flawlessly in the new school year:
- Beth Anson and Lisa Dumke – Room Parents Program
- April Baer – PFC Website updates
- Julie Berkus and Lindsay Vaisman– J/Kinder Welcome Breakfast and other J/Kinder summer events
- Kim Becker – Sponsorship Program
- Laura Berlant and Emily Stearn – Community Discount Cards, Restaurant nights planning
- Amy Gray and Susan Harrison – Donor Drive preparation
- Susie Ming – Emergency supplies review and replenishment; Digital Directory roll-out
- Deb Shapiro – Cub Wear inventory and sales
- Elizabeth Smith – August Back-to-School Cub Corner Print Edition
- Jenna Wood and Alana Schwartz – Teacher Appreciation Welcome Back Lunch
And, a special thanks to the many volunteers who sacrificed several hours on the last day of summer break to help Registration for grades 1-5 run so smoothly. We are truly grateful! Amanda Madnick, Amy Gray, April Baer, Ben Abadian, Deb Shapiro, Desiree Terian, Emily Stearn, Erica Salisbury, Gloria Yoo, Grace Fischer, Jessica Nedick, Julie Berkus, Kim Becker, Kristy Scott, Laura Berlant, Lindsay Vaisman, Lisa Dumke, Lisa Opolion, Meredith Sesser, Mira Rocca, Richelle Blanken, Sadie Novello, Suzy Cooper, Sybil Berman, Allyson Watson, Beth Anson, Erin Mayer, Ghazal Hafizi, Joanna Cooper, Julie Gesas, Kate Haney, Minoo Rostami, Miranda Fitzgerald, Susan Harrison, Susie Ming, Toni Edwards, Ann Park, Chrissie Hand and anyone we inadvertently missed!
Last but not least, a big thank you to Donna Welti in the Main Office for supporting our numerous requests for data and Jim McHorney for repeatedly transforming the MPR and other areas of campus to support our events and programs. We couldn’t do it without you. Please stop by the main office to meet the newest member of the team, Sharon Anderson, we are lucky to have her back at Chaparral!
A few important announcements:
- We are excited to announce the roll-out of our online directory. Please make sure you download the DirectorySpot app on your computer and/or phone so you can take advantage of this easy-to-use directory. Special thanks to Susie Ming, Directory Coordinator, for implementing the directory so smoothly.
- Donor Drive is ON and the competition to get to 100% participation is heating up! Any class that reaches this milestone by September 30 gets a free pizza and ice cream party. Last year, we had 85% participation – let’s make it 100% this year! Please go to SchoolPay.com and make your donation now. For more information, click here. Thank you to Amy Gray and Susan Harrison, Co-VPs Donor Drive, for all of their hard work executing this crucial drive.
- Please make sure to donate $10 (per family) to our Disaster Preparedness Fund on SchoolPay.com so we can ensure we have sufficient supplies on campus in case of an emergency.
- We had an amazing turnout for our first PFC Meeting and Coffee with the Principal this week. Let’s keep up the momentum! Please mark your calendars for the next PFC Meeting on Wednesday, October 3 at 8:15 am in the MPR.
- Save the date for our annual Movie Night which is on Friday, September 28. This fun PFC-sponsored event takes place on the Upper Yard with a huge inflatable screen, food, candy, glow accessories, popcorn, and more! Don’t forget your low chairs and blankets. For more information, please contact Beth Anson
Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or stop by the PFC Office during our office hours – every Monday and Thursday mornings! We look forward to hearing from you!
Jason Weilert & Carrie Slatoff
Now is your chance to purchase the ever-popular Community Discount Card and save money through August 2019! Each card costs $10 and Chaparral receives $5 for every card sold! Receive continuous discounts on places like Fresh Brothers, Baja Fresh, Golden Spoon, Jersey Mike’s, The Six, and many more!
Community Discounts Cards purchased on SchoolPay will be available for pick up in the PFC office next week. For more information, contact Laura Berlant or Emily Stearn at email@example.com
7:30am on the Upper Yard
Please join the Wellness Committee for Running Cubs at 7:30am every Wednesday morning on the Upper Yard. Students in grades 1-5 are invited to run laps. We track the cumulative distance run and give annual awards! Remember your water bottles and running shoes. Questions? Please contact Maria Nicolacakis.
Chaparral Variety Show “We Love the 80s!” was an absolute success, combining fun music, great performances, and hilarious skits, with record-breaking participation. A huge THANK YOU to returning Chair Chrissie Hand for her creative vision, selfless dedication, and hours of hard work over the past six months. Special thanks to Meredith Sesser, Patty Harms, Lauren Freedman and the entire Variety Show Committee for their tireless work in all aspects of the show. The show was such a great experience for the kids, and everyone enjoyed watching them shine on stage. Thank you to our families and community for coming out and supporting the longest running tradition at Chaparral. And that’s a wrap!