Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Small, Large, Circle, Square, Thin Crust, Thick Crust, Extra Toppings and sometimes with BBQ Sauce. Chaparral’s next restaurant fundraiser is at Fresh Brothers on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018 all day long. Join us and celebrate beauty in all of its delicious forms!
THE BRITISH ARE COMING, THE BRITISH ARE COMING!
No, Chaparral isn’t getting a royal visit from William, Kate, Harry and Meghan…the school isn’t magically turning into Hogwarts…it’s the 2019 Chaparral Variety Show! And…. this year’s theme is British Invasion.
So, lace up your trainers, put on your best bowler and pull up your knickers. We’re going to move, groove and dance to the best music from across the pond.
Please join us for a New & Returning Parent Information Meeting on Thursday, Dec. 13, at 8:15 a.m., in the Chaparral MPR. If you’re interested in running a group or just want more information about this year’s show, please join us.
Information about registration, rehearsal and performance dates and tickets will be coming soon.
Questions? Contact Billy Cooper or Meredith Sesser.
Chaparral has a new procedure for reporting absences. The voicemail option is no longer available. Parents will now need to email email@example.com to report their child’s absence. Please include your child’s name, teacher’s name, date(s) of the absence and reason. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the office. Thank you!
The Holidays are just around the corner and soon you will be ordering cards, calendars, and gifts to send to friends and family! Help Chaparral earn money while you do your usual shopping when you shop at either Shutterfly, Tiny Prints or Minted!
Anyone can use the link and shop from our storefront, so please share with family and friends. We can benefit from this program year round— think holiday cards, photos, photo books, birthday cards, personalized gifts, wedding or baby announcements, and much, much more!
Minted’s Fundraising Program will be running the entire month of November. When you use code FUNDRAISECPFC in November you will receive 15% OFF your holiday cards and gifts and 15% of your total purchase will be donated back to Chaparral. It’s a win-win! Holiday cards, stationary, gifts, art and more! This special offer is also open to family and friends, so please share the code!
Together, we have raised more than $197,000 for Chaparral! Thank you to all of our families who donated, and congratulations to the classes with 100% participation – Ms. Gourley & Mr. Ross – for a tremendous accomplishment!! Our overall school participation was 86%. A BIG THANK YOU to our Donor Drive VPs, Amy Gray and Susan Harrison, who have tirelessly worked many hours to ensure the success and smooth execution of our biggest fundraiser of the year for the past 5 years!!
Just a reminder that the Free or Reduced Lunch Program is available to all families. This is completely confidential and is now online for enhanced privacy and security. Filling out the application online will not only provide nutrition services to your student(s), but it will help the District comply with new regulations from the state. Families, please apply here. Please contact Waleska Cannon, director of Child Nutrition, with questions.
The GreenTeam will begin in October. If you are interested in being a rep for your room please follow your teacher’s guidelines on how to be chosen. The GreenTeam will remain open to all students who are interested in coming to our meetings. Looking forward to a productive year saving the earth! For more information, email Ms. Cioffi.
If you or someone you know is interested in promoting a business to our school community for the 2018-2019 school year, please contact Sponsorship Chair Kim Becker for more information.
– Fall Festival (In-N-Out Burger truck, Pumpkin Patch and Pizza booth)
– Digital Cub Corner sponsor boxes
– Digital School Directory and much more!
Support our school while creating awareness of your business! It’s a win-win for everyone!
The PFC is excited to announce that our free, private, password-protected digital directory through DirectorySpot is NOW LIVE!
Please look for an email with subject line, Chaparral Elementary School – DirectorySpot Account, and claim your account. Please note your link expires in 7 days. DirectorySpot will always contain the latest information, updated by you. You can access the Chaparral Directory through the DirectorySpot website (directoryspot.net), and you can download the DirectorySpot app for your smartphone from iTunes and Google Play! You will be able to call, text or Email other Chaparral families with just one click. You can also access classroom lists and the current Chaparral PFC calendar. We hope you will love the new digital directory! Please Email Chaparral PFC with any questions.
Now is your chance to purchase the ever-popular Community Discount Card and save money through August 2019! Each card costs $10 and Chaparral receives $5 for every card sold! Receive continuous discounts on places like Fresh Brothers, Baja Fresh, Golden Spoon, Jersey Mike’s, The Six, and many more!
Community Discounts Cards purchased on SchoolPay will be available for pick up in the PFC office next week. For more information, contact Laura Berlant or Emily Stearn at firstname.lastname@example.org
7:30am on the Upper Yard
Please join the Wellness Committee for Running Cubs at 7:30am every Wednesday morning on the Upper Yard. Students in grades 1-5 are invited to run laps. We track the cumulative distance run and give annual awards! Remember your water bottles and running shoes. Questions? Please contact Maria Nicolacakis.
Chaparral Variety Show “We Love the 80s!” was an absolute success, combining fun music, great performances, and hilarious skits, with record-breaking participation. A huge THANK YOU to returning Chair Chrissie Hand for her creative vision, selfless dedication, and hours of hard work over the past six months. Special thanks to Meredith Sesser, Patty Harms, Lauren Freedman and the entire Variety Show Committee for their tireless work in all aspects of the show. The show was such a great experience for the kids, and everyone enjoyed watching them shine on stage. Thank you to our families and community for coming out and supporting the longest running tradition at Chaparral. And that’s a wrap!
Last Wednesday at the morning assembly to kick off Wellness Week, we announced the winner of our Like A Bike Contest. One lucky 3rd Grader from Mrs. Yollis’ class won a brand new bike. Thank you David Kooi and the entire Santa Monica Mountain Cyclery team for their continued support of the Chaparral Community.
by Auction Chair, Carrie Slatoff
Wow, another year and another amazingly successful auction! We raised $94,000… all of which will go to fund specialist (Art, Music, and PE) salaries and supplies, classroom supplies, furniture and technology upgrades, instructional assistants, and campus supervisors for the remainder of this school year. This success would not have been possible without the amazing committee of volunteers who dedicated so much of their time and energy.
- I would like to thank my “walkers”, the people who pound the pavement with targeted local lists asking restaurants, stores, and other businesses for donations: Michelle Freedman, Susan Ng, Roza Woods, Sherry Shirk, Dayana Kling, Erica Salisbury, Grace Fisher, Melyssa Peters, Minoo Rostami, and The Kim Burns.
- A big THANK YOU to my “inputters”, the people who dedicate months of their time entering items into the Bidding for Good online catalogue: Allyson Watson, Jessica Nedick, Kelly Greene, Lisa Dumke, Laura Berlant, Sherry Shirk, and Shirra Hever.
- Thank you, Lisa Opolion, for taking care of email solicitations.
- Those amazing camp items would not be there if it weren’t for the awesomeness of Stacy Dishlip and Sherry Shirk – thank you!
- Thank you to April Baer and Sara Traband who helped with everything digital from logo and flyer design to laying out the Acorn ad.
- To those who have helped with fulfillment and shipping, you have my unending appreciation: CarolAnn Braun, Stacy Dishlip, Kelly Greene, Roza Woods, Ann Park, Jason Weilert, Jessica Nedick and Allyson Watson.
- Special thank you to Allyson Watson who was not only the MOST AMAZING “party coordinator”, but also pretty much my co-chair, devoting the majority of her time since September working with me on this fundraiser. Thank you for being my “partner in crime.” I could not have tackled this without you.
- Special thank you also to Jessica Nedick, the ultimate master of the auction. A million thanks for taking over the marketing aspect of this auction, and assisting with all the nuances of this job.
- I would also like to thank all the Chaparral parents who donated items from their own businesses and those who solicited items…your contributions are much appreciated.
- I would like to thank the Chaparral teachers, specialists, and Principal Brazell for donating their time and creativity to provide Chaparral students with fun and memorable experiences.
- Thank you so much to Donna Welti and Brenda Shearer in the Main Office for fielding all those auction letters, packages, and phone calls.
- Finally, thank you to all of our bidders!! Click here for information on when to pick up items.
Congratulations to the 2018 Bookmark Contest winners. We received many creative submissions, and we are very proud of all our enthusiastic Cub readers. Thank you for taking us on your reading adventures. The list of contest winners is as follows:
Journeys – Ms. Regina
Taura Freyer – Ms. Gerber
Aarna Jhawer – Ms. Gourley
Vivienne Kasdorf – Mrs. Lampert
Daniel Shin – Mrs. Baldwin
Jemma Jaffe – Ms. Fitzner
Michaela Rawlins – Ms. Fitzner
Emily Bamford – Mr. Larkin
Micah Wegman – Mrs. Yollis
Taylor Credle – Mrs. Argyropoulos
Siya Porwal – Ms. Stevenson
Anya Ahuja – Mrs. Costantino
Nola Ross – Mrs. Napier