What time is it? It’s time for lunch! What time is it?! It’s time for lunch! What time is it? It’s time for lunch! It’s lunch time—hey, what’s for lunch?! (or dinner!!) Just mention Chaparral when you place your order and The Stand will donate 30% back to our school.
Head over to SchoolPay to get the latest Cub Wear designs. T-shirts and Sweatshirts are available for online purchase. Purchases can be picked up in the PFC Office on M & Th mornings from 8-9:30am.
Please contact Deborah Shapiro with any questions about Cub Wear. Thank you for purchasing Cub Wear and showing your school spirit!
Please turn in all of your non-expired Box Tops to your classroom and be sure to write down your child’s name and teacher. All of the Box Tops collected will be added to an ongoing tally for each class AND family throughout the school year! Who will be the BIG winner?!
The 12th Annual PFC Online Auction is just over two months away, March 8-17, 2019! We need help from our generous Chaparral community to secure amazing donations. The success of our auction is directly correlated to the strength of our donations!
How can you help?
Got Gift Cards?
The holidays are over, did you get gift cards to a restaurant or store that you won’t use? Consider donating a few of those gift cards to the auction. They are an easy way to donate, and really add up!
Request A Donation
Please ask your favorite hair or nail salon, restaurant, gym, kids’ play sources and other professional service providers for a donation. In return for their generous donation they will receive the following acknowledgements:
- Each donor has the marketing benefit of a direct link to their website through their graphic or image via our online auction site Bidding for Good.
- All participating local businesses also will be included in a full-page “Thank You” Ad in The Acorn, the PFC website and Cub Corner. Deadline to be included in this ad is March 1.
Download the Auction Donor Form.
Although many businesses don’t require it. You can always ask for a donation and follow up with the form later, if necessary.
Host a party
The holidays may be over, but the parties are just getting started! Grab some friends and start thinking about hosting a party. Hosted parties are a fun way to raise money for Chaparral. Parties can be for kids or adults and as simple or elaborate as you like. Popular themes include: game truck, swimming, popsicles in the park, sports, baking, bowling, moms night out, dads night out, and parent theme parties. E-mail your party details (theme, date, time, hosts & description) to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 4.
Donations can be dropped off in the PFC or Main Office, or contact Auction Chair, Allyson Watson at email@example.com
If you are looking for a way to help families who were impacted by the Woolsey Fire please go to www.LVFireRelief.org to help with monetary donations. 100% of all donations received will go directly to the affected families. LVFR was started by parents in our district who teamed up with the YMCA to help make an instant 501(c)3! Therefore, all donations are tax-deductible and families will not be taxed on the contributions they receive. The school district is also in support of LVFR. At this time the donation center is currently in need of luggage and medium or large storage bins with lids. Due to the overwhelming response, they can no longer accept clothing and gift cards. Even if you cannot help financially, you can help by telling all your friends and families from out of the area that www.LVFireRelief.org is the best place to donate at.
Chaparral has a new procedure for reporting absences. The voicemail option is no longer available. Parents will now need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to report their child’s absence. Please include your child’s name, teacher’s name, date(s) of the absence and reason. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the office. Thank you!
Together, we have raised more than $197,000 for Chaparral! Thank you to all of our families who donated, and congratulations to the classes with 100% participation – Ms. Gourley & Mr. Ross – for a tremendous accomplishment!! Our overall school participation was 86%. A BIG THANK YOU to our Donor Drive VPs, Amy Gray and Susan Harrison, who have tirelessly worked many hours to ensure the success and smooth execution of our biggest fundraiser of the year for the past 5 years!!
Just a reminder that the Free or Reduced Lunch Program is available to all families. This is completely confidential and is now online for enhanced privacy and security. Filling out the application online will not only provide nutrition services to your student(s), but it will help the District comply with new regulations from the state. Families, please apply here. Please contact Waleska Cannon, director of Child Nutrition, with questions.
The GreenTeam will begin in October. If you are interested in being a rep for your room please follow your teacher’s guidelines on how to be chosen. The GreenTeam will remain open to all students who are interested in coming to our meetings. Looking forward to a productive year saving the earth! For more information, email Ms. Cioffi.
If you or someone you know is interested in promoting a business to our school community for the 2018-2019 school year, please contact Sponsorship Chair Kim Becker for more information.
– Fall Festival (In-N-Out Burger truck, Pumpkin Patch and Pizza booth)
– Digital Cub Corner sponsor boxes
– Digital School Directory and much more!
Support our school while creating awareness of your business! It’s a win-win for everyone!
The PFC is excited to announce that our free, private, password-protected digital directory through DirectorySpot is NOW LIVE!
Please look for an email with subject line, Chaparral Elementary School – DirectorySpot Account, and claim your account. Please note your link expires in 7 days. DirectorySpot will always contain the latest information, updated by you. You can access the Chaparral Directory through the DirectorySpot website (directoryspot.net), and you can download the DirectorySpot app for your smartphone from iTunes and Google Play! You will be able to call, text or Email other Chaparral families with just one click. You can also access classroom lists and the current Chaparral PFC calendar. We hope you will love the new digital directory! Please Email Chaparral PFC with any questions.
7:30am on the Upper Yard
Please join the Wellness Committee for Running Cubs at 7:30am every Wednesday morning on the Upper Yard. Students in grades 1-5 are invited to run laps. We track the cumulative distance run and give annual awards! Remember your water bottles and running shoes. Questions? Please contact Maria Nicolacakis.
Chaparral Variety Show “We Love the 80s!” was an absolute success, combining fun music, great performances, and hilarious skits, with record-breaking participation. A huge THANK YOU to returning Chair Chrissie Hand for her creative vision, selfless dedication, and hours of hard work over the past six months. Special thanks to Meredith Sesser, Patty Harms, Lauren Freedman and the entire Variety Show Committee for their tireless work in all aspects of the show. The show was such a great experience for the kids, and everyone enjoyed watching them shine on stage. Thank you to our families and community for coming out and supporting the longest running tradition at Chaparral. And that’s a wrap!
Last Wednesday at the morning assembly to kick off Wellness Week, we announced the winner of our Like A Bike Contest. One lucky 3rd Grader from Mrs. Yollis’ class won a brand new bike. Thank you David Kooi and the entire Santa Monica Mountain Cyclery team for their continued support of the Chaparral Community.
by Auction Chair, Carrie Slatoff
Wow, another year and another amazingly successful auction! We raised $94,000… all of which will go to fund specialist (Art, Music, and PE) salaries and supplies, classroom supplies, furniture and technology upgrades, instructional assistants, and campus supervisors for the remainder of this school year. This success would not have been possible without the amazing committee of volunteers who dedicated so much of their time and energy.
- I would like to thank my “walkers”, the people who pound the pavement with targeted local lists asking restaurants, stores, and other businesses for donations: Michelle Freedman, Susan Ng, Roza Woods, Sherry Shirk, Dayana Kling, Erica Salisbury, Grace Fisher, Melyssa Peters, Minoo Rostami, and The Kim Burns.
- A big THANK YOU to my “inputters”, the people who dedicate months of their time entering items into the Bidding for Good online catalogue: Allyson Watson, Jessica Nedick, Kelly Greene, Lisa Dumke, Laura Berlant, Sherry Shirk, and Shirra Hever.
- Thank you, Lisa Opolion, for taking care of email solicitations.
- Those amazing camp items would not be there if it weren’t for the awesomeness of Stacy Dishlip and Sherry Shirk – thank you!
- Thank you to April Baer and Sara Traband who helped with everything digital from logo and flyer design to laying out the Acorn ad.
- To those who have helped with fulfillment and shipping, you have my unending appreciation: CarolAnn Braun, Stacy Dishlip, Kelly Greene, Roza Woods, Ann Park, Jason Weilert, Jessica Nedick and Allyson Watson.
- Special thank you to Allyson Watson who was not only the MOST AMAZING “party coordinator”, but also pretty much my co-chair, devoting the majority of her time since September working with me on this fundraiser. Thank you for being my “partner in crime.” I could not have tackled this without you.
- Special thank you also to Jessica Nedick, the ultimate master of the auction. A million thanks for taking over the marketing aspect of this auction, and assisting with all the nuances of this job.
- I would also like to thank all the Chaparral parents who donated items from their own businesses and those who solicited items…your contributions are much appreciated.
- I would like to thank the Chaparral teachers, specialists, and Principal Brazell for donating their time and creativity to provide Chaparral students with fun and memorable experiences.
- Thank you so much to Donna Welti and Brenda Shearer in the Main Office for fielding all those auction letters, packages, and phone calls.
- Finally, thank you to all of our bidders!! Click here for information on when to pick up items.