Each summer, the Chaparral TK/Kindergarten teachers offer a special introductory program. Each week-long session will provide incoming TK and Kindergarten students with a unique opportunity to get to know the teachers, their classmates, and the routines of the upcoming school year. Students will get a head start on foundational skills and curriculum, as well as participate in fun and engaging activities to spark their love of learning. For more info, please click here for the flyer and registration details. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Hope to see you there!
The deadline for home delivery has expired. You can find all the items on your class list at most major retailers like Target, Walmart and Office Depot.
Please consider purchasing items using the PFC Amazon link here – an option that directly benefits our PFC.
Click here for the complete school supply lists by grade.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
FOR MEDICATION AT SCHOOL IN THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR, a Medication Authorization from your doctor will be needed. Forms are available in the Health Office. No medication will be administered until this form is received by the Health Clerk—this includes Epipens and Inhalers, as well as allergy medication, or any over the counter pain relievers, etc. Contact Bennah Christl with questions.
#LVReads is a summer reading program for all students from preschool through high school. The program’s main goal is to create confident and capable readers who find JOY in reading. #LVReads has no tests, no reports, no vocabulary lists— just read!
Welcome to a new feature in the yearbook this year!!! Download this Award-Winning Live Portrait app that brings your yearbook to life. Whenever you see the Cornerstone Clik lens icon in your yearbook, open the app, and zoom onto the image to watch the portrait or a school event come alive with motion and sound.
Are you aware that your family may qualify for the National School Lunch Program? USDA requires all families interested in participating in the meal program to file an application with the Department of Child Nutrition.
Factors considered in the application process are the household size and total household income. The total household income is the income each household member received in the prior month before taxes. The information you give will be used to determine or prove your child’s eligibility for free or reduced-price meals. This information may also be used for other state or federally funded school benefits such as Title I funds.
It is important that your student receives the benefits they are entitled to. You may not even realize your child may be eligible. Please note that this application and status are completely confidential. Applications must be resubmitted annually. This year the process has been made easier through an online link: https://paypams.com/OnlineApp.aspx
Online registration is now available for new, incoming residents ONLY for the 2019-2020 school year. Click Here to Register
Chaparral’s procedure for reporting absences: The voicemail option is no longer available. Parents need to email email@example.com to report their child’s absence. Please include your child’s name, teacher’s name, date(s) of the absence and reason. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the office. Thank you!
Chaparral Variety Show “We Love the 80s!” was an absolute success, combining fun music, great performances, and hilarious skits, with record-breaking participation. A huge THANK YOU to returning Chair Chrissie Hand for her creative vision, selfless dedication, and hours of hard work over the past six months. Special thanks to Meredith Sesser, Patty Harms, Lauren Freedman and the entire Variety Show Committee for their tireless work in all aspects of the show. The show was such a great experience for the kids, and everyone enjoyed watching them shine on stage. Thank you to our families and community for coming out and supporting the longest running tradition at Chaparral. And that’s a wrap!
Last Wednesday at the morning assembly to kick off Wellness Week, we announced the winner of our Like A Bike Contest. One lucky 3rd Grader from Mrs. Yollis’ class won a brand new bike. Thank you David Kooi and the entire Santa Monica Mountain Cyclery team for their continued support of the Chaparral Community.
by Auction Chair, Carrie Slatoff
Wow, another year and another amazingly successful auction! We raised $94,000… all of which will go to fund specialist (Art, Music, and PE) salaries and supplies, classroom supplies, furniture and technology upgrades, instructional assistants, and campus supervisors for the remainder of this school year. This success would not have been possible without the amazing committee of volunteers who dedicated so much of their time and energy.
- I would like to thank my “walkers”, the people who pound the pavement with targeted local lists asking restaurants, stores, and other businesses for donations: Michelle Freedman, Susan Ng, Roza Woods, Sherry Shirk, Dayana Kling, Erica Salisbury, Grace Fisher, Melyssa Peters, Minoo Rostami, and The Kim Burns.
- A big THANK YOU to my “inputters”, the people who dedicate months of their time entering items into the Bidding for Good online catalogue: Allyson Watson, Jessica Nedick, Kelly Greene, Lisa Dumke, Laura Berlant, Sherry Shirk, and Shirra Hever.
- Thank you, Lisa Opolion, for taking care of email solicitations.
- Those amazing camp items would not be there if it weren’t for the awesomeness of Stacy Dishlip and Sherry Shirk – thank you!
- Thank you to April Baer and Sara Traband who helped with everything digital from logo and flyer design to laying out the Acorn ad.
- To those who have helped with fulfillment and shipping, you have my unending appreciation: CarolAnn Braun, Stacy Dishlip, Kelly Greene, Roza Woods, Ann Park, Jason Weilert, Jessica Nedick and Allyson Watson.
- Special thank you to Allyson Watson who was not only the MOST AMAZING “party coordinator”, but also pretty much my co-chair, devoting the majority of her time since September working with me on this fundraiser. Thank you for being my “partner in crime.” I could not have tackled this without you.
- Special thank you also to Jessica Nedick, the ultimate master of the auction. A million thanks for taking over the marketing aspect of this auction, and assisting with all the nuances of this job.
- I would also like to thank all the Chaparral parents who donated items from their own businesses and those who solicited items…your contributions are much appreciated.
- I would like to thank the Chaparral teachers, specialists, and Principal Brazell for donating their time and creativity to provide Chaparral students with fun and memorable experiences.
- Thank you so much to Donna Welti and Brenda Shearer in the Main Office for fielding all those auction letters, packages, and phone calls.
- Finally, thank you to all of our bidders!! Click here for information on when to pick up items.
Congratulations to the 2018 Bookmark Contest winners. We received many creative submissions, and we are very proud of all our enthusiastic Cub readers. Thank you for taking us on your reading adventures. The list of contest winners is as follows:
Journeys – Ms. Regina
Taura Freyer – Ms. Gerber
Aarna Jhawer – Ms. Gourley
Vivienne Kasdorf – Mrs. Lampert
Daniel Shin – Mrs. Baldwin
Jemma Jaffe – Ms. Fitzner
Michaela Rawlins – Ms. Fitzner
Emily Bamford – Mr. Larkin
Micah Wegman – Mrs. Yollis
Taylor Credle – Mrs. Argyropoulos
Siya Porwal – Ms. Stevenson
Anya Ahuja – Mrs. Costantino
Nola Ross – Mrs. Napier
by Fall Festival Chair, Meredith Sesser
This year’s Fall Festival was one of Chaparral’s biggest carnivals yet. Despite the heat, everyone had such a good time that no one wanted to leave! The rides were a big hit and so was In ‘N’ Out Burger, with the line never ending. The support of so many parent volunteers was crucial to making this event a success. A special thank you goes to the following: Carrie Slatoff and Suzy Cooper for an amazing job on our auction baskets; Noelle Mogush for securing cake donations for our cake walk; Lauren Freedman, Miranda Fitzgerald and Dee Dee Frank for their hours of commitment to the carnival; Sara Traband for all of the marketing materials for the event; Kim Becker for arranging the sponsors for the festival; Aimi Datz for making the hair and makeup salon a huge success! Thank you to the many additional volunteers who ran game booths, set up, cleaned up and helped in countless ways to make the day fun for all. Lastly, thank you to the PFC for all of your tireless hours spent selling tickets so that we could raise money for Chaparral.
Our school parent Vision Committee has developed a Staff Cub Kudos. This is an easy way to give affirmations to Chaparral staff and to let them know how much they are appreciated. Staff Cub Kudos forms can be found in the office and in teachers classrooms. Encourage your child to write notes to express their appreciation.